. . . _ _ _ . . .

>> Sunday, August 31, 2008

SOS


I've been up since 2:34am, due to a sudden and freaky infiltration. Joe and I have a medium sized box next to our bed we just never took down to the basement to store. It's proven to be a nice nightstand when needed, but in actuality is just a result of our, ok maybe my, laziness. I woke up (an amazing feat considering tornado sirens don't even phase me) to a scratching noise coming from the area around the box. With a window right above the box, I first thought there was a bird or something on the ledge, doing whatever birds do at 2:30 in the morning...sleep?! But the persistence and intensity of the scratching increased...

I got up, turned on our bedroom light. *HOLY MOTHER OF PEARL, I never thought I would ever see one up close and personal, but, a BAT, darted upwards from the corner of the room and performed an acrobatic act of crazy 8's above my head. Adrenaline pulsed, my heart raced, I ran......to the bathroom, and shut the door. Dumb. Because when I scoured the courage to go back out to the living room/bedroom area....the bat was nowhere to be seen. So, I camped out with my back to a corner facing the living/bedroom in hopes of the critter showing face. While waiting, I fired up my laptop and caught up with wikipedia's entry about bats.

Did you know people get bit by bats while sleeping and don't even know it?? Their teeth are so tiny, the bites are hard to see. If an unlucky 1% member of the bat population decides to taste you, rabies will coincide, and those bitten don't even realize they're infected until it's too late.

I'm riding on 2 hours of sleep, and paranoid as all get out this little creature is going to decide to come out and reintroduce himself tonight.

My turn to infiltrate. Every. Inch. Of our apartment.

1 comments:

Sistahood September 01, 2008 11:55 PM  

What an incredibly traumatic experience - it reminded me of the episode of the office where Dwight sticks a trashbag over Meredith's head with a bat trapped inside it. Sooo funny. Glad you survived!