Market Delights

>> Friday, September 28, 2007

Ahhh, the farmer's market. Probably one of my favorite places to go on the weekends. Before fall begins to settle in and certain fruits begin to disappear from the stands, Joe and I decided to take advantage of the abundance of figs. We bought 2 baskets of the plump goodies along with a healthy heaping of different veggies from our favorite farmer.

With a fig newton fiend living amongst me, I decided what better than to make homemade newtons. I found a recipe, which I totally forgot to bookmark, that consisted of a pastry simply consisting of butter, cream cheese, flour, salt, and a little milk. And the fig concoction, just chopped figs, a little sugar and a the juice from half a lemon. That's it. A little work, and you get the best tasting fig newtons ever.

Totally worth the time.


For dinner a couple of days later, we fancied up a farmer's market salad creation, inspired by a salad we ate at the botanical gardens on my birthday. Gently cooked sirloin, slices of sweet plum, crushed walnuts, and blue cheese, on top of a bed of lively mixed greens. Drizzle a little orange ginger dressing, and you've gone to salad heaven.

1 comments:

Laura Negus October 01, 2007 11:56 PM  

Yum!! You guys do the best cooking!