If it ain't broke, don't fix it

>> Tuesday, April 17, 2007

I finished the last spoonful of Nutella I brought back from my summer excursion in Europe. *sigh* This chocolate hazelnut concoction is heaven in a jar. You can put it on apples, bread, pineapple, crepes, ice cream....ohhhh...ice cream....pancakes, bananas, the list is endless.

I went to the local grocer yesterday to pick me up a new jar of Nutella when horror struck.

Ingredients:
Sugar, Peanut oil, Hazelnuts, Cocoa, Skim Milk, Reduced Minerals, Whey, Partially Hydrogenated Peanut Oil, Soy Lecithin: an Emulsifier, Vanillin, an Artificial Flavor

Oye veh. I put the jar back on the shelf and walked out empty handed.

I came home determined to find a version of Nutella that has not been infected by Americas love of partially hydrogenated oils. The Nutella you buy in Europe contains sugar, vegetable oil, hazelnuts, lean cocoa, lactose, milk powder, and lecithin. Why, when made in the US, is solidified fat added to this drool worthy product?

Not a store in Norman sells an off-brand version or the European version of Nutella. So, I have decided to make some from scratch. This weekend's project....homemade Nutella.

2 comments:

Julie April 20, 2007 1:40 AM  

:( How sad! I hadn't noticed that. I'll have to stock up when I go to France this summer. hehe Let me know how the homemade stuff turns out.

Sistahood April 21, 2007 10:41 AM  

Food always tastes better when it's from other countries...I shake my head in disgust when I see the puny, GREEN, pesticide infected, chemically altered mangoes in the grocery store. I will only eat a mango if I am in Peru. I hope your nutella project turns out well. Maybe you can bring some to orchestration so we can sample it. Do you think they might sell the good nutella at Dodson's? This town needs a Whole Foods or a Wild Oats, I tell ya.