Wounded

>> Saturday, February 4, 2006

Joe and I went up to the city today for a free check-up on cholesterol, blood pressure, glucose, and BMI. We stood for about an hour in a huge line accompanied by people of old and young before it was our turn to hand over our veins to the Doc. Upon arriving at my designated table, the nurse thoroughly explained to me what they would be doing and what the procedure consisted of....a quick prick of a needle to a finger of your choice (preferably your middle one). I handed Kristy my left hand and gave her the go ahead...."Hmmmmm...." was the first word out of her mouth upon the prick. Apparently, I wasn't bleeding enough for the little computer to figure out what my glucose levels were. Krista started squeeeeeezing and squeeeeezing my little finger and drew juuuust enough blood to complete the first test.....but not enough for the cholesterol test. Which meant....another finger had to be pricked. So the ceremony commenced and I handed over my right hand hoping enough would squirt. The same ritual of squeeezing the blood out of my finger was applied to my right hand.....and barely enough slowly dripped out. Out of the hundreds of people Krista had been pricking throughout the morning, I was one of four that had to be pricked twice. Darn me and my poor circulation.

The good news: I'm as healthy as can be.

0 comments: